Riverside Bicycle Accident Lawyer
If you were hit by a car while riding your bicycle, you almost certainly suffered serious injuries and now have a number of damages and losses to deal with. Find out if you can get compensated by working with a Riverside bicycle accident lawyer.
If you were injured in a bike wreck that was caused by someone else, you have the right to file a personal injury lawsuit. However, these cases can be complicated, and it is critical to prove negligence, making it important to work with a Riverside bicycle accident lawyer from Dickson Kohan & Bablove, LLP.
Types of Bicycle-Car Wrecks and Fault
While the driver of the car that hit you is the most likely at-fault party, he or she isn’t the only one. Bike-car accidents come in many different forms and have many different causes. These are just a few of the possible scenarios and how fault might be involved:
- Intersection Accidents – These areas are especially dangerous for cyclists at night. Drunk, drowsy, and distracted drivers are often at fault, but a government agency might be to blame if a malfunctioning traffic light or poorly designed crosswalk factored in.
- Bike Lane Crashes – Drivers are often at fault for failing to share the road with bicyclists, even when there’s a clearly marked bike lane. A property owner or roadwork crew could also be at fault if the lane was obstructed, however.
- Defective Parts – Sometimes cyclists are hit because of defective auto parts, such as brakes failing and preventing the driver from being able to stop. This could allow you to seek compensation from the part manufacturer.
Common Bike Wreck Injuries
Being hit by a motor vehicle while on a bicycle can often lead to a permanent disability or serious injury. Because the type of injury you suffer will determine your need for medical care and how long your recovery will take, it is the single greatest factor affecting the amount of compensation you could be eligible for.
These are just a few of the injury types that your Riverside bicycle accident lawyer will have experience litigating claims for:
- Broken Bones – The severity of the fracture will often depend on how you were hit, but it is rare to escape a bicycle-car accident without some sort of broken bone.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI) – Wearing a helmet reduces this risk, but helmets do not always function properly. In this circumstance, the helmet manufacturer could also be liable.
- Spine Injuries – Getting hit by a car while riding a bicycle can easily leave you paralyzed, making it impossible to return to your job or accustomed lifestyle.
- Internal Organ Damage – Punctures and severe trauma often lead to internal bleeding and organ damage.
Determining Fault for a Bike Crash
For you to have a personal injury case, someone else must be responsible for the accident. Even if you were partly to blame, you can file a lawsuit if someone else was more at fault than you were.
To determine fault, your Riverside bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your crash and review evidence such as accident reports, surveillance footage, and witness testimony. Evidence needs to be gathered to prove your claim, and this will form the foundation of the negotiations with the insurance company.
Dealing with Insurance After Being Hit by a Motor Vehicle While on a Bike
No matter how helpful the insurance adjuster might seem, never expect them to treat you fairly. Insurance companies are in business to make money, and they will do whatever they can to pay you as little as possible.
One of their tricks is to ask leading questions that they can then use out of context to pin blame on you. They’ll also try to lowball your offer and get you to agree to terms before you can get an attorney and find how much your claim is truly worth. Securing your own legal representation will prevent you from being taken advantage of in these ways.
Calculating Compensation for a Personal Injury Claim
You should receive compensation for every financial expense and non-economic damage inflicted by the accident. By working closely with your Riverside bicycle accident lawyer, you’ll be able to maximize the value of your claim and ensure that you don’t receive an inadequate settlement that falls short of covering all of your needs.
These are just a few of the items that will need to be considered:
- Lost wages
- Medical bills, including future projected costs
- Medication, medical devices, and mobility equipment
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium
- Lost enjoyment of life
Speak with a Riverside Bike Accident Lawyer
The first step in collecting compensation for your accident is speaking with Dickson Kohan & Bablove, LLP. We can review what happened, make sound legal recommendations, and represent you during both negotiations and trial.
To schedule a free consultation with a Riverside bicycle accident lawyer, call 1-844-404-2400 or complete the form below.