Newport Beach Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Motorcycle accidents are terrifying events that often result in injuries, property damage, and large medical bills. By working with a Newport Beach motorcycle crash lawyer, you can receive the compensation you need to pay for your recovery and get your life back.
Going for a motorcycle cruise down the Pacific Coast Highway is bliss for some people, but it can turn hellish quickly if you’re hit by a car. You’re almost definitely going to suffer a serious injury, and even if you don’t, you’ll likely have big hospital bills.
To protect your family’s finances and get you the best care possible, you may need to find a Newport Beach motorcycle accident lawyer with the right connections and resources. Our team at Kohan & Bablove, LLP has what you need to win your case.
Finding Out Who’s at Fault
Just like any motor vehicle collision, a motorcycle accident can be caused by many factors. We’ll follow the clues that reveal the reason for the wreck. We have to do this carefully to prove who should be held accountable, especially if your case ends up in court.
Motorcycle crashes are usually due to drivers not noticing you’re even there. They may even check their blind spots and mirrors, looking right at you, and it won’t register until it’s too late. Their brains simply aren’t tuned to detect smaller vehicles like motorcycles.
Your Newport Beach motorcycle accident could also have been the result of any of the following causes:
- Poor road conditions, including jagged potholes and uneven or steep lane and shoulder drops
- Drugged, drunk, distracted, and drowsy drivers
- Poor judgment of distance and speed on the part of a driver who rear-ended you
- Aggressive driving like tailgating, speeding, passing too quickly, or ignoring traffic signals
- Construction zone negligence, such as blinding spotlights, extreme dust or chemical fumes, and loose equipment in the roadway
- Negligent installers, mechanics, and maintenance techs
- Careless vehicle and part manufacturers
Which Injuries Qualify for Compensation?
Usually, your injuries will be severe due to the lack of a protective barrier around your motorcycle. We will work diligently with your medical providers to account for every injury and ailment you’ve suffered. Your Newport Beach motorcycle wreck lawyer will make sure anything that might be permanent is covered over the long term.
Motorcyclists commonly suffer the following injuries in crashes:
- Head and face injuries, causing traumatic brain injuries, blindness, hearing loss, communication problems, and disfigurement
- Neck, back, and spine injuries, possibly damaging the spinal cord and ending in paralysis, untreatable chronic nerve pain, numbness, or immobility
- Organ damage, possibly requiring surgery to remedy
- Badly broken bones, which can cause you to limp or experience chronic pain
- Limb loss at the time of impact or in a medical setting after the fact
- Severe burns from vehicle fires, which can be disfiguring and require skin grafts
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and other mental health problems
Compensation for Your Newport Beach Motorcycle Wreck
Depending on the circumstances of your case, you could recover economic damages, non-economic damages, punitive damages, and compensation for wrongful death. Punitive damages will be awarded in the case of egregious negligence or malice on the part of the at-fault party. While they can raise the value of your claim, punitive damages are difficult to recover, so ask your lawyer about your chances.
If you lost a loved one in a motorcycle accident, you may be eligible for wrongful death compensation from the at-fault party.
Most Newport Beach motorcycle accident claims will include economic damages and non-economic damages. As their names suggest, economic damages are hardships that have a clear price tag, while non-economic damages are the harder-to-quantify emotional and lifestyle effects of your crash.
The following are some common economic damages:
- Immediate and future medical costs
- Lost income
- Disability accommodations to your vehicle and home
- Motorcycle or other property damage
The following are some non-economic damages:
- Reduced quality of life
- Emotional trauma
- Loss of consortium
- Scarring and disfigurement
What if I’m Partially at Fault?
The defendant’s lawyers and the insurance company will fight tooth and nail to limit their losses—at the expense of any obligations they have to you and your family. They’ll even twist the truth and your statements to make it look like you’re to blame, capitalizing on the worn-out stereotype of the “reckless biker.”
California reduces your compensation for the portion of the fault you bear using comparative negligence rules. For instance, if you’re awarded $100,000, but are 30 percent to blame, you’ll only get $70,000, which is 30 percent less than your original award.
Get in Touch with a Newport Beach Motorcycle Accident Attorney
You need to move quickly in contacting your Newport Beach motorcycle accident lawyer because we only have two years to investigate, gather evidence, and file your claim before the statute of limitations runs out. Schedule your free consultation with Kohan & Bablove, LLP by filling out the form below or calling us at 1-844-404-2400.