How Does Car Insurance Work in California?

I was referred to Jesse from my chiropractor after he reccomended I give him a call a couple of times. I was nervous to call an attorney, but so glad I did! Jesse Bablove handled everything while also ensuring I received any aftercare I needed to recover from the accident! Recognize your value and worth and give them a call. Thank you guys for going above and beyond!

Melanie Tydingco

Mr. Bablove managed to help me receive the maximum payout possible from my auto accident. He was very responsive and made sure I got every bit of medical attention I needed. He’s a good guy, I would highly recommend him.

Jeff Renfro

Upon being referred to the guys at Kohan & Bablove Injury Attorneys, I spoke with Jesse about my case, and from the get go he was super hands on and a genuine guy who treats you like family and cares for the well being of his clients. I would definitely recommend Jesse and his team to one of my friends or family members!

jared batson

In California and most other states, drivers are required to purchase auto insurance—it’s the law. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that all people who get behind the wheel follow the rules, or you probably wouldn’t need car insurance in the first place.

So you followed the rules and bought a policy, but you don’t actually have a clue what kind of coverage you have. The first time you begin to understand how car insurance works is usually after your first vehicle collision. If you’ve been in a wreck, a car accident lawyer with Kohan & Bablove, Injury Attorneys can help you.

We can walk you through the steps of filing an insurance claim and, if applicable, help you file a personal injury claim against an at-fault driver. But first, let’s take a closer look at how car insurance works in California.

California Is an At-Fault State

California is considered an at-fault state for car insurance. This means the person who was at fault (responsible) for the accident has to pay for it. If that person has insurance, his or her insurance company is required to pay for damages resulting from the accident.

Damages could include expenses like your medical bills, lost wages, and vehicle damage, up to certain limits. For example, the insurance company might pay for personal injuries up to $15,000. How much insurance and the negligent party pay will depend on your injuries, the cost of your medical treatment, and other factors.

What Is Comparative Negligence?

Everything works out easily if one driver is found at fault, but what if the drivers of both vehicles were found partially to blame for an accident? California insurance laws use comparative negligence, which means they will compare the two drivers’ actions to determine responsibility and assign them a percentage of fault.

For example, if you were found to be 30 percent responsible for your accident, but the other driver was found to be 70 percent responsible, you could still seek damages from the other driver, but your claim amount would be reduced by your 30 percent.

Speak with a Car Crash Attorney

Hopefully, you are feeling a little better about how you can be compensated if you’ve been involved in a car accident. If you are still wondering how car insurance works in California, speak with an attorney from Kohan & Bablove, Injury Attorneys.

We offer a free consultation, so you have nothing to lose by speaking with us. Call us today at 1-844-404-2400 or fill out the form below to speak with a car accident lawyer.