Insurance Industry Insiders on Your Side
  • No Hidden Fees Involved
  • No Obligation to Continue Beyond the Case Review
  • Get All Your Legal Questions Answered
No Fees Until You Get Paid
Recent Results
    • $2,000,000 slip-&-fall settlement
      $1,325,000 wrongful death settlement
      $1,582,000 wrongful death settlement
    • $1,300,000 retaliation verdict
      $936,000 class action defective product
      $601,000 bad drug wrongful death
    • $750,000 rideshare car accident settlement
      $750,000 brain injury settlement
      $710,000 rear-end car accident settlement


Is It Possible to Sue a Government Agency for an Accident in California?

If you were hurt in an accident because a government entity was negligent, you can file a personal injury claim against them. However, when asking, “is it possible to sue a government agency for an accident in California,” there are certain things you should know.

An Administrative Claim Must Be Filed First

Before you can sue the government, you need to file an administrative claim. The government is required to review your case and make an initial determination within forty-five days. If they deny the claim, you can file an official lawsuit.

The Clock Is Ticking

California has a clear statute of limitations. Typically, you have two years to file a personal injury lawsuit against the negligent party. However, when you are suing a government entity, you only have six months to start your case, although there are a few exceptions.

This makes it critical for you to hire an attorney right away, file a claim, and begin building your case. If you fail to meet this deadline, you’ll lose the opportunity to sue. This rule applies to all state, county, and city government entities.

You Have to Follow the Rules

Even if you file your lawsuit in time, there are strict procedural rules that must be followed when suing a government entity. If you fail to meet them, your case could be thrown out. Having an attorney who understands these procedures is critical for the success of your case.

Getting Money for Your Injuries

Whether you are suing the government or an individual, you must prove that the other party was responsible for your accident. This is critical for receiving compensation.

Next, we must demonstrate that you deserve to be compensated for how the accident has impacted you physically, financially, and emotionally.

To ensure that you get as much money as possible, we will calculate how your injuries have impacted all areas of your life and ask for compensation related to any losses incurred:

  • Losses to your quality of life or its enjoyment
  • Medical expenses, including future costs
  • Lost wages and income
  • Transportation expenses
  • Cost of hiring a caregiver
  • Changes that were made to your home
  • Long-term disability and its impact
  • Pain and suffering

Schedule an Appointment with an OC Personal Injury Attorney

It is certainly possible to sue the government for an injury, but you need to do it correctly or you will get nothing. Hiring our law firm will give you the best opportunity to receive compensation.

Call 1-844-404-2400 to schedule a free consultation with Kohan & Bablove, LLP today. There is clear urgency when suing the government, so don’t delay. You can also reach us by using the contact form below.