Do I Have to Report an Accident to the DMV in California?

January 7, 2020

Being involved in a car accident is something simply you can’t prepare for. Unless you’ve been injured in an accident before, you probably have no idea what to expect going forward or what your next steps should be.

But, you probably are wondering how the accident will affect your license status, insurance premium, and whether you have to report the incident to the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Continue reading to learn more about when the DMV requires you to report an accident and how you can protect your license.

When to Report an Accident to the DMV

The California DMV requires that any drivers involved in a collision must report the accident to the DMV under three circumstances:

  • Someone is killed in the accident.
  • Someone involved in the accident is injured in any way.
  • There is more than $1,000 in property damage.

The DMV states that it does not matter who is to blame for the accident you were involved in, any parties who were involved in the accident is required by law to report the accident through a Traffic Accident Report SR 1 within 10 days of the accident.

To complete the form fully, you will need to provide information regarding how and when the accident occurred, where the accident happened, your name, drivers license number, vehicle information, and insurance information, as well as any information you have about any property damage that might have occurred.

It is important to note that reporting the accident to the DMV does not necessarily mean you will get points added to your driving record. The only time points will be added to your driving record after an accident is if you are found to be at fault for the accident.

Ways You Can Report Your Accident

The most common way to report your traffic accident to the DMV is to fill out the Traffic Accident Report SR 1 online, print it, and mail it in to the following address:

  • Department of Motor Vehicles Financial Responsibility
    Mail Station J237
    P.O. Box 942884
    Sacramento, CA 94284-0884

Unfortunately, the California DMV does not allow individuals who have been involved in accidents to file Traffic Accident Report SR 1 online anymore.

Contact a California Car Accident Lawyer

If you have been injured in a car accident and are feeling overwhelmed or confused about what to do next, reach out to a respected California car accident lawyer at Kohan & Bablove, Injury Attorneys. We are proud to offer complimentary consultations to injury victims across the state.

You can take advantage of this opportunity and schedule yours by giving our office a call at 1-844-404-2400 or filling out the quick contact form below.